Monday, May 24, 2010

Slice Digital Crafting Tools

Slice Cordless Digital Designer

Do you remember taking Shop or Home Ec in high school?  Those were the times when creativity was encouraged.  If you really wanted something, the first thing you tried to do was to make it yourself.  These classes gave you the foundation for the skills that not only developed your creative ability, but also enhanced your manual dexterity.  The schools today don’t seem to have the money to fund these types of classes, although we spend about more money per student than any other country in the world.  Is there any formal education where kids today can be introduced to these skills?  I don’t think so.

My wife pointed out the Slice Digital Designer on an As Seen On TV spot.  It's a digital machine that cuts, draws and embosses.  I immediately thought of my granddaughters who are very computer literate.  I hoped that the digital aspect of the gizmo would interest them enough so they would really see how much fun being creative could be.  The 30 day trial was $14.95 with free shipping and a money back guarantee, so I ordered one to see if I could pique their interest.

It arrived, and I couldn’t believe all the stuff that it came with.  The Slice Digital Designer Kit came with the 3-in-1 machine, power cord adapter and owner’s manual.  The other goodies included alphabets, geometric shapes, glass cutting mat, grids and replacement blades.  To make it even more interesting, they sent a ton of freebees too.

Although I listened to the commercial and read the info before ordering, I really couldn’t conceive of all the creative things it would do until I actually had it in front of me.  The Slice Digital Designer cuts, embosses and draws.  It will cut through anything up to 1/2 mm thick and even some fabrics.  The cuts are accurate and precise, and there’s little waste because of your ability to position your project medium. It operates on either a battery or power cord, and it doesn’t take up a lot of counter space. You just insert one of the design cards, choose a shape on the graphic interface, preview your selection on the two inch window, and push the button.  You’ve literally got thousands of images to choose from so your creative possibilities are endless.

Since it was my idea to try it out, I thought I should at least be a part of my granddaughters’ first project.  Working with their digital cameras and small printer, they are creating their own personalized picture albums.  It’s a project that they can enjoy for a lifetime, and remember who helped them get started on it.  It’s coming along so well, that I decided to go ahead and buy the Slice Digital Designer as a birthday gift for them, and have sent in the first of my three monthly $66.65 payments.  Being able to help my granddaughters is wonderful; not only to watch them initiate and follow through on a project, but to see the satisfaction they are getting from creating something unique for themselves.

Posted via web from As Seen On TV Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment